Sunday, June 29, 2014

Blog Post #1 - What is writing?

Asking "what is writing?" is a very vague question with a multitude of different responses. Everyone has a different outlook on what writing is because some people love it some people dread it. I'm someone that gets absolutely no thrill out of writing.

Throughout schooling, I've been given so many different prompts, some I like and can relate to, and some I can't even start. Even if I like the prompt, I still don't enjoy writing the essay that follows. How am I supposed to structure an entire 5 paragraph essay? How do I reach 2000 words? 8 pages?! That's crazy! Give me a prompt; I'll give you a sentence to respond back with no issue. So, I guess I can say my least favorite thing is writing for a prompt and having to expand my points on it. Writing should be for fun, not a requirement, or at least not a requirement for a hard topic.

I'm that weird kid that loved math in school, the subject everyone else despises. I suppose they feel as strongly about math as I do with English and writing classes.

So I'm a math whiz heading towards a business major in Finance and Accounting. All numbers, no words. Writing isn't in my future too much unless I was to write business letters which isn't a useless prompt with a paragraph, word, or page count. I like to write only for what I need to write, not for a grade.


I've written professional letters before for my dance studio. That interests me, because it benefits me.

So in summation, I write for me, not for fun, and unhappily for a grade.

P.s.
This is a prompt, I had a little fun venting (not going to lie), and I'm praying for a good grade. 

2 comments:

  1. Writing has become a boring requirement for kids like you said because of the prompts. I agree with you that writing should not be a requirement because it is suppose to be a creative outlet as opposed to a class that is mandatory for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share a similar perspective on writing: I prefer to express myself in my writing. Writing to meet a specific criteria is stressful and an unnecessary burden. I admire the fact that you have found a subject that suits you well and that you can foresee a future with it.

    ReplyDelete