Sunday, July 20, 2014

Blog Post #4 - What is Genre ?

Genre surrounds us in everything we do, and we come in contact with it on a daily basis.
One form of genre found in writing that I am most familiar with is an Autobiography. I , myself, keep a journal up to date with everything going on in my life, good or bad, from my sophomore year of high school.
I do not have an audience set in stone just yet. My sole purpose in beginning this journal was because my mom doesn't relate much to me and understand me and what I go through mentally on a daily basis. I started writing because when I am older and I have kids, I would love to relate to them and have a sense of where they are coming from and what they are going through in that exact time in their life. So this would make me the author and audience. In addition to that, the only other audience for this genre of mine is my future kids, so they can learn from mistakes I have made and learn what I went through so they know I know what’s going on.

Expectations and constraints are minimal; I express everything and anything with no limitations. Others can have constraints and limitations depending on who their audience is. If an autobiography is being looked at by young students, it may be censored.

This genre relates to other genres and sub-genres by being somewhat of a monologue. It gives the freedom of writing about oneself and talking to themselves in a way. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that genres surround us in most of the things we do. Until I came to this class my only knowledge of what a genre was is that it described different type of novels. After this class I have come to know that even the littlest things like a tweet or a facebook status is a genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We talked about reflection today in class and you seem to be reflecting on your journal entries. You also are writing your journal with an exigence in mind (that exigence being your mother not understanding you so you want to be able to understand your children). Can both your expectations and constraints be minimal? What might your constraints be?

    ReplyDelete